Séamus Ó Baoighill
Séamus (now 17) began playing at the age of 8 and was the youngest member to have entered Sgoil Chiùil na Gàidhealtachd by age 11, under the instruction of Iain MacFarlane and Iain MacFadyen.
Séamus is a notably fine musician and a savvy young guy who knew that having his own website would enhance his exposure and help further his career. A couple of years ago he had asked a friend to create a website for him. This site required improvement, added content and a creative overhaul. Séamus had been selected as a finalist in BBC Radio Scotland Young Traditional Musician 2015 Finals and therefore needed a distinctive website to support his position as a serious musician, with the realistic potential of musical career ahead of him.
The existing WordPress website was without any real design or structure and contained a minimal content. There was very little to exhibit Séamus’ musical talent; in fact Séamus was hardly visible in any way!
We wanted to ensure that the site would embody everything that Séamus was about; his youth, his musicianship, his roots and the strong Celtic influences. The site would have to reflect the traditions of his environment and also recognise that Séamus is a 21st century guy. We had to be sure that the design of the site would allow traditional imagery to amalgamate seamlessly with the new. Luckily our design team love a challenge, and successfully created a visually stunning site, that conveys the beauty that is Skye, yet ensures that Séamus remains the focus.
It was important to us that Séamus’ music would be heard. To this end, we downloaded MP3 files of his music, and added a facility to play the music as soon as the website has loaded. We put up videos of Séamus fiddling, so that the full experience could be seen and heard. We provided a link to Seamus’ YouTube channel so that all his videos can be viewed. To keep visitors up-to date with all things Séamus, we built-in a Social Media section which includes the ability to read his tweets and send back to him.
- Page Builder – users can build their own pages via the admin area with flexibility on size and look of each element on the page.
- One Page Website
- Social Media Integration – Séamus’ website is linked to his Twitter account, so that users can see what he has been up to. There is also a link to his YouTube channel so that users can watch his videos.
- Music Player – in order for Séamus’ music can be heard as soon as users visit the website.
- Contact Form.
- Responsive design – in order for the website to adapt small or large screens.
- Future proof – as the needs of the client changes the site can be readily developed, so he can add new events in his calendar and update the music that is played on the website.